version 1.30 - Sergey Poznyakoff, 2017-12-17
* Member names containing '..' components are now skipped when extracting.
This fixes tar's behavior to match its documentation, and is a bit
safer when extracting untrusted archives over old files (an unsafe
practice that the tar manual has long recommended against).
* Report erroneous use of position-sensitive options.
During archive creation or update, tar keeps track of positional
options (see the manual, subsection 3.4.4 "Position-Sensitive
Options"), and reports those that had no effect. For example, when
tar -cf a.tar . --exclude '*.o'
tar will create the archive, but will exit with status 2, having
issued the following error message
tar: The following options were used after non-optional
arguments in archive create or update mode. These options are
positional and affect only arguments that follow them. Please,
rearrange them properly.
tar: --exclude '*.o' has no effect
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
* --numeric-owner now affects private headers too.
This helps the output of 'tar' to be more deterministic.
* Fixed the --delay-directory-restore option
In some cases tar would restore the directory permissions too early,
causing subsequent link extractions in that directory to fail.
* The --warnings=failed-read option
This new warning control option suppresses warning messages about
unreadable files and directories. It has effect only if used together
with the --ignore-failed-read option.
* The --warnings=none option now suppresses all warnings
This includes warnings about unreadable files produced when
--ignore-failed-read is in effect. To output these, use
* Fix reporting of hardlink mismatches during compare
Tar reported incorrect target file name in the 'Not linked to'